misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Sat Mar 22 14:22:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Bryan Socha <bryan at digitalocean.com> wrote:
> Oh btw, how many ipv4s are you hording with zero justification to keep
> them?       I was unpopular during apricot for not liking the idea of no
> liability leasing of v4.     I don't like this artificial v4 situation
> every eyeball network created.    Why is v4 a commodity and asset?   Where
> is the audits.    I can justify my 6 /14s, can you still?

Oh I so agree with this one.  But alas yes, IPv4's days are counted
and I doubt there's any turning back.

As a NA myself, I see day on day where smaller ISPs are forced to dish
out large network blocks (/16s) to be able to have access to large
unefficiently planned broadband networks in order to service PPPoE
terminations (at least, here in ZA).  These ISPs are forced to 'hand
out' /16 networks for the large telco's to distribute to their
respective BRAS devices.... Meanwhile, the ISP does not even have 20K
customers - nevermind the fact that more than likely 50% of that
customer base is not even 'always' connected...

It's due to waisting like this, that the shortage is there and that
other players with legitimate requirements (such as going provider
independant) cannot obtain address space.  And it is continueing to
this very day.  I'm definately all for proper audits, stricter audits,
and more importantly the releasing of unused address space back to the
respective registries.

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe