Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on ISPsâ EURO(tm) re fusal to upgrade networks | Ars Technica

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Mar 21 03:53:09 UTC 2014

On Friday, March 21, 2014 04:51:07 AM Owen DeLong wrote:

> At some point, we will need to recognize that for the
> population densities in the vast majority of the united
> States (including most urban areas), Layer 1 is
> effectively a natural monopoly and you will rarely get
> more than one provider installing any given media type.
> An independent layer 1 provider required to provide
> equal access to all competing layer 2+ providers in each
> are would drive increased competition in L2+ services.

What some governments are doing in Asia-Pac and Africa is
funding national optical backbones that can be shared by
all.

The biggest mistake they make, however, is either contract
the incumbent to run these national backbone, or get the
incumbents and vendors to sub-contract someone of their
choosing to run these networks.

The general idea, however, is a likely solution to
neutralizing the physical layer.

Mark.