[dns-wg] Global Vs local node data in www.root-servers.org

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Mar 17 15:11:40 UTC 2014

On 17 Mar 2014, at 10:27, manning bill <bmanning at isi.edu> wrote:

> alas, our service predates Joe’s marvelous text.
>
> “B” provides its services locally to its upstream ISPs.
> We don’t play routing tricks, impose routing policy, or attempt to
> influence prefix announcement.

In the taxonomy I just shared, that makes the origin nodes of B all "global nodes".

To clarify though, I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the things I described were new or original when I was writing in 2003. Anycast had already been in use for quite some time by a variety of people at that time.

It's specifically the terms "local" and "global" in a DNS anycast context that I was apologising for :-)

Joe