Team Cymru / Spamhaus

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jun 27 20:40:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014, Adam Greene wrote:

> We're evaluating whether to add BGP feeds from these two sources in attempt
> to minimize exposure to DoS.
>
> The Team Cymru BOGON list (
>
> http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/bogon-bn-nonagg.txt or
>
> http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/bogon-bn-agg.txt

These really won't do anything to stop DoS attacks.  Common DDoS attack
traffic these days comes via reflection from non-spoofed sources replying
to a spoofed public IP target.

> http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/fullbogons-ipv4.txt

Same here.  Whether or not its worth null routing unallocated IP space may
be debatable, but again, it't not going to help protect you from a
typical real DDoS.

> We're a little more leery about trying Spamhaus's BGPf service (DROP, EDROP
> and BCL,
>
> http://www.spamhaus.org/bgpf/

This is more about stopping spam from entering your network and stopping
compromised hosts on your network from becoming active in botnets (by
cutting off their command and control).