World Cup Streaming

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Sun Jun 8 15:11:57 UTC 2014

Hey folks

One part of capacity planning that is always challenging at times with
various providers I have worked with is determining the traffic levels
required for upcoming events such as World Cup.  Obviously there is
speculation and it varies dependent on the provider, their geography, and
size of eyeball/downstream eyeball customers.

Is there any resources out there other than news articles that provide for a
reasonable estimation as to how much impact World Cup will have for example?
I’ve heard offline from some folks that put World Cup at greater traffic
levels than the recent Olympics for example but have no way to know if that
is a pure guess or an educated estimate.

I am assuming that the CDN’s involved have some pretty accurate ideas on
what to expect but in the past I have not been able to get feedback from
them with any specific estimations.

Thanks,

Paul