real-time traffic engineering/management solutions

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Wed Jun 4 13:52:19 UTC 2014

I'm having a look at real-time traffic engineering/management solutions that include visibility/analysis/control and offer the following basic characteristics:

1) take into account

  * links utilization/threshold/deviation
  * link price
  * packet delay/loss
  * physical/logical topology

2) and offer real-time automatic ingress/egress traffic adjustment using

  * netconf & bgp to change localpref/med/aspath/community attributes (mandatory)
  * SDN/Openflow/I2RS/PCEP technologies (optional)

3) considering only IP traffic (MPLS can be optional), especially on external links used for peering and transit by tier-1/2 providers.

Do you have any personal experience regarding the above features?

>From my personal search Cisco offers Quantum/WAE (inc MATE) which seem very limited in real-time functionality and Huawei offers RR+ which seems interesting but unknown to many people (and maybe not compatible with all vendor routers).

Any other idea or commercial option? Offline answers would be good too.

--
Tassos