Carrier Grade NAT

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Jul 31 02:23:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 08:05:28PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:39:14 -0700, Owen DeLong said:
>
> > I was talking about Amazon, not AWS. Yes, AWS would help too, but in terms of
> > the Alexa list, Amazon would swing the percentage meaningfully. I don’t know to
> > what extent AWS would swing the percentage.
>
> There's probably not much stuff that individually is in the Alexa top 100, but
> collectively AWS probably has a half million or so hosted entities that
> together would end up at the bottom end of the Top 50 if not better.
>
> Of course, then the question becomes what percentage of those half million
> entities are ready to go once AWS flips the switch....

Given that almost all of them will be using ELB, which is just a reverse
proxy, where AWS controls the A records that get returned, I'd say that most
of them would Just Work.  The ones that don't will fail only because they're
assuming that the IP address they get sent via HTTP header is IPv4, but
plenty of sites don't even look, and most of the rest wouldn't need much
more than a regex update and/or DB column size change.

- Matt

--
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting