Carrier Grade NAT

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Tue Jul 29 20:04:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:54:57PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:42:31 -0500, Chris Boyd said:
>
> > There's probably going to be some interesting legal fallout from that
> > practice.  As an ISP customer, I'd be furious to find out that my
> > communications had been intercepted due to the bad behavior of another user.
>
> See the various lawsuits against the NSA - the vast majority have been summarily
> dismissed because the plaintiffs couldn't produce evidence their communications
> had in fact been intercepted, and thus they didn't have standing to sue.

And the rest have been thrown out because the plaintiffs couldn't produce
evidence that they'd been specifically harmed by having their communications
intercepted, probably because it hadn't been "collected" (under the NSA
definition of same).

- Matt

--
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.