Netflix To Cogent To World

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Thu Jul 24 20:46:30 UTC 2014

Not to single out Jason, who has demonstrated his worth as one of the “good guys” in the community time after time, however I and somewhat of a skeptic:

That Comcast is in a “pretty good spot” for capacity could be punctuated by any number of shifts in traffic, or new sites/services emerging as the next killer app.  Where other access providers would increase capacity, Comcast would see money in its eyes, or cite such dated metrics as traffic ratios as a fairness metric, all the while playing the victim with the press.

I don’t think I’m overly alarmist in these views; one need only look to the Tata situation (congested for multiple years), which was a textbook case of poor execution and damage control by all involved, as a recent example.  Fool me once...