Muni Fiber and Politics

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 21 21:30:11 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > I will point out that in my experience, private roads do not tend to
> > be as well
> > maintained overall as public roads with some notable exceptions in
> > very wealthy
> > gated communities.
>
> Ironically, I've had the opposite experience. The nearby Dulles Toll
> Road, Greenway and Beltway HOT lanes are all in much better condition
> than all but a few of the rest of the local roads. My buddies out at
> http://hoveroad.com/ don't keep the roads in as good shape, but they
> are in excellent repair for an organization that maintains 157 miles
> of roads on a $1M annual budget. Vastly better than what I've seen a
> municipality achieve for the same price.

Stop it, Bill.

Owen didn't say "privately owned *toll road*"; "very wealthy gated
communities" are even still rarely large enough to need their own
turnpikes.

If you keep setting up straw men, we'll be happy to knock them down for
you, but you'll end up looking a little foolish.

Stop trying to make the arguments fit the end-game, and have the same
conversation the rest of us are, ok?

(And the next assertion you shouldn't make is that I'm saying governments
are perfect, or even better than private corporations *IN GENERAL*; we're
talking about a very specific commons, with a very specific set of
requirements that are not well served by proprietary profit-making
corporations.)

Cheers,
-- jra