Muni Fiber and Politics

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Jul 21 17:28:22 UTC 2014

In an organization as large as Verizon there are many reasons why a policy
gets changed.  I'm certain that there are product guys who were saying our
customers want this.  I'm sure there were marketing folks saying we can
build a marketing campaign around it.  I am equally certain that some there
were some folks, perhaps lawyers, who said this gives us a better position
to argue from if we need to against Netflix.

I'll be watching to see how well this roll out goes.  If they didn't
re-engineer their splits (or plan for symmetrical from the beginning) they
could run into some problems because the total speed on a GPON port is
asymmetrical, about 2.5 gbps down to 1.25 gbps up.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000