Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 15 03:40:39 UTC 2014

On Jul 14, 2014, at 11:10 PM, Brett Glass <nanog at brettglass.com> wrote:
> You're assuming that the only way to be multi-homed is to have an ASN. That's not correct.
> ARIN's fees are discriminatory; a small ISP must pay a much higher percentage of its revenues than a large one for IPs, ASNs, etc.

Interesting use of the word "discriminatory", as it is usually used in
the context of having different rates or fees for different categories
of people or things... Used as you have, nearly everything (including
equipment makers, conference fees, and the local coffee shop) all have
"discriminatory" fees.  Myself, I'd call such fees to be uniform, but
do recognize that such uniform fees have a disproportionate impact on
smaller service providers.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO