Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Steven Tardy sjt5atra at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 05:39:21 UTC 2014

Brett,

You've previously stated: https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-457.htm
  "$20 per mbps per month"
  "1.25 gigabits of bandwidth coming in"

Math:
 $20/mb/month * 1250mb = $25,000month

If netflix is 1/3 of bandwidth... saving 1/3 of $25,000 -=> $8,000/month.
(OK, Keep 100mbps for Netflix to pre-populate, 100mbps is 30TB/month)
(Now I'm curious how many GB/month Netflix pre-populates, hmmm)

How would "4U of rent" and 500W($50) electricity *not* save money?
If it's a money thing, then you have a price...
How much would Netflix have to pay you for you to consider?

Can you elaborate on:
 It costs Netflix as little as possible and the ISP as much as possible.

If your ISP isn't tall enough for Netflix, Akamai has a lower barrier of
entry.
Have you let Akamai give you a local cache? why or why not?

Steven Tardy, maybe I'm missing/overlooking something...