Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Fri Jul 11 13:38:52 UTC 2014

Hi, I'm Dave Temkin, and I work for Netflix.

I'd like to dispel a few incorrect assumptions portrayed in this thread.
I'm going to avoid going point by point, but will try to cover the concerns
raised broadly.

First and foremost, we built our CDN, Open Connect, with the intention to
deploy it as widely as possible in order to save ISPs who are delivering
our traffic money and improve our mutual customer experience. This goes for
ISPs large and small, domestic and international, big endian and little
endian. We've never demanded payment from an ISP nor have we ever charged
for an Open Connect Appliance.

When we first launched almost three years ago, we set a lower boundary for
receiving a Netflix Open Connect Appliance (which are always free) at
5Gbps. Since then we've softened that limit to 3.5Gbps due to efficiencies
of how we pre-load our appliances (more on that below).

We explicitly call our "cache" an Appliance because it's not a demand
driven transparent or flow-through cache like the Akamai or Google caches.
We do this because we know what's going to be popular the next day or even
week and push a manifest to the Appliance to tell it what to download
(usually in the middle of the night, but this is configurable by the ISP).
The benefit of this architecture is that a single Appliance can get 70+%
offload on a network, and three appliances clustered together can get 90+%
offload, while consuming approximately 500 watts of power, using 4U of rack
space, and serving 14Gbps per appliance. The downside of this architecture
is that it requires significant bandwidth to fill; in some ISPs cases
significantly more than they consume at peak viewing time. This is why our
solution may not work well for some small ISPs and we instead suggest
peering, which has 100% offload.

We've put a lot of effort into localizing our peering infrastructure
worldwide. As you can see from this map (sorry for the image), we're in 49
locations around the world with the significant bulk of them in the US
(blue pins = 1 location, red pins = >1 location in a metro) - more detailed
version at http://goo.gl/eDHpHU and in our PeeringDB record (
http://as2906.peeringdb.com) :

We constantly re-evaluate the best places to deliver our traffic from and
this year alone (2014) have added 14 POP's and still have at least 4 more
to go. We continue to make large capital expenditures and invest human
capital in making our streaming technology more efficient to ensure a lower
cost of delivery for our partner ISPs and consistent quality for our mutual
customers.

I'm happy to answer any questions or address concerns, and as always you
can reach out to (peering)@(netfilx).com

-Dave Temkin
Director, Network Architecture & Strategy
​