Question on DHCPv6 address assignment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 31 23:07:10 UTC 2014

On Jan 31, 2014, at 12:40 PM, Fernando Gont <fernando at gont.com.ar> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm wondering about the following two aspects of different DHCPv6
> implementations out there:
>
> 1) What's the pattern with which addresses are generated/assigned? Are
> they sequential (fc00::1, fc00::2, etc.)?  Random? Something else?

Depends on your DHCPv6 server implementation. I believe ISC defaults to random. I’m not sure if that’s configurable or not.

> 2) What about their stability? Is there any intent/mechanism for them to
> be as "stable" as possible? Or is it usual for hosts to get a new
> address for each lease?

I believe they are generally stable in that once a DUID is associated with an address, that association is persistent, but that may also be implementation dependent.

> P.S.: I understand this is likely to vary from one implementation to
> another... so please describe which implementation/version you're
> referring to.

I have limited experience with the ISC DHCPv6 server. Mostly I just use SLAAC.

Owen