Google causes 40% drop in traffic?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 23:02:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Stefan Neufeind
<nanog at stefan-neufeind.de> wrote:
> interst to spy on all your emails, your dns-queries and the like.)

FUD much? have you read the public-dns ToS and privacy statements?

if you haven't you might want to:
<https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy>

> What imho you'll want is a reliable resolver which is as close to you as
> possible (and have it do DNSSEC-validation etc.).

you might also want to read:
<http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2013/03/google-public-dns-now-supports-dnssec.html>

and for some (quite a few) users of 8.8.8.8 it's faster and closer
than their ISP dns... which says something about the ISP provided DNS
server(s) I suppose :( It's certainly not the answer for everyone, or
everything, but shrugging it off for FUD reasons is just silly and
makes little sense.

-chris