Verizon FIOS IPv6?

Geert Bosch bosch at adacore.com
Thu Jan 9 05:08:34 UTC 2014

On Jan 8, 2014, at 17:03, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:

> I have a tunnel through HE and it is solid.

I'm on Verizon FIOS (70/30 Mbit/s), and set up my ActionTec router
to allow tunneling traffic through, but am using my Apple TimeCapsule
base station (3 years old) for the actual IPv6 tunneling. I've been
amazed how rock-solid the IPv6 has been. All traffic between my
home and work workplace go over IPv6, and using X11 etc, I'm quite
sensitive to latency or packet loss. To my surprise, generally the
tunneled IPv6 performs (far) better than IPv4:

--- XXXX.gnat.com ping6 statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 15.204/16.911/18.721/0.941 ms

This really is good latency, especially considering the tunnel.
Note that my MacBook Pro is using a WiFi connection, adding a
millisecond or two as well.

--- XXXX ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 26.280/28.259/31.289/1.254 ms

This is fine, but not great. The Apple Base station does NAT-ing,
but did the same for my previous DSL link to Bway, which had <16ms
ping times, so I can rule out NAT-related delays. At this point
in time I'm not holding my breath for VZ to do anything to accommodate
IPv6 or provide good routing, and know that if, for my company or
otherwise, I'll have an option to chose HE, I will.

  -Geert

PS. Today I changed my FIOS autopay method with VZ (as somehow they
ignored the info I gave at signup) and got notified it would take
up to 60 days (!!!) for the changes to take effect. Clearly, VZ is
(and always will be) a phone company.