Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Ryan Shea ryanshea at google.com
Thu Feb 27 14:50:06 UTC 2014

A couple more thoughts, regarding

Network => DB

I completely agree that trying to use the network config itself as the
authority for what we intend to be on a device is not the right long-term
approach. There is still a problem with Network => DB that I see. Assuming
you have *many* devices, that may or may not be up at a given time, or may
be in various stages of turn-up / burn-in / decom it is expected that a
config change will not successfully make it to all devices. There are other
timing issues, like a config built for a device being turned up, followed
by a push of an update to all devices that "succeeds", followed by the
final turn-up of this device. Even if you have a fancy config pushing
engine, let's just take as a given that you'll need to scrub through your
rancid-git backups to determine what needs to be updated.

Regarding the MD5 approach, let's also think that configlets could have
"no" commands in them. In the NTP example I had before, if we wanted to
remove an NTP server the configlet would need the "no" version, but the
rancid backup obviously would not have this. I'm not trying to work a unit
test assertion framework here either. Some vendors have more robust
commenting, and this can be quite convenient for explicitly stating what
was pushed to the device. What are you using in your network... banner,
snmp-location, hope, prayer?