VMware Training

Phil Gardner phil.gardnerjr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 17:37:21 UTC 2014

On 02/19/2014 01:14 PM, Phil Gardner wrote:
> Not sure if this list is the best place, but it is probably the only
> list that I'm on that won't give me a bunch of grief about the chosen
> technology.
>
> I looked at VMware's site, and there are a ton of options. I'm wondering
> if anyone has some basic suggestions or experiences.
>
> I'm a Linux admin by trade (RH based), with "ok" networking ability. I'm
> sufficiently versed in deploying scripted ESXi (including 5.x)
> installations for a specific environment, including vswitches/SAN config
> (but only with NFS datastores backed by a NetApp, unfortunately, no
> blockbased stores).
>
> I'd like to get experience deploying VCenter clusters, down to DRS/HA
> config, other block based storage, and anything else a large environment
> needs.
>
> Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will be petitioning my manager for
the vShpere: Install, Configure, Manage v5.5 course.

My homelab currently consists of a custom dual opteron box with lots of
disk, an HP P2000, and a massive CoRAID array. Looks like I'll have to
scrounge up a couple other hosts for ESXi since my custom system is
running CentOS, and ESXi under KVM still looks like a no-go.