7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Feb 10 17:58:16 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 15:30, Remco Bressers wrote:
> This depends on multiple variables. The 7200 is a single-CPU platform
> where CPU can go sky-high when using features like ACL's, QoS, IPv6 and
> you name it.. Also, changing from IOS 12.4 to 15 increased our CPU usage
> with another 10%+. Stick to the bare minimum of features you really need
> and you will be fine.

in fact, the npe-g1 uses a BCM1250 which is a dual CPU unit but vanilla IOS
is not able to use the second CPU for packet forwarding.  Unsubstantiated
rumour claimed that modular IOS (QNX kernel) could push about 1.6x the
throughput of vanilla IOS, as it was smp capable.  Pity it was never released.

Nick