Need trusted NTP Sources

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Feb 7 18:14:09 UTC 2014

On Feb 7, 2014, at 10:56 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> Working in the financial world, the best practices is to have 4 ntp servers (if not using PTP).
>
> 1) You need 3 to determine the correct time (and detect bad tickers)
> 2) If you lose 1 of the 3 above, then you no longer can determine the correct time
> 3) Therefore with 4, you have redundancy.
>
> We have two Symmetricom Stratum 1 time servers synced via GPS  with Rubidium oscillators,  and two RHEL 6 servers running ntpd for our 4 servers.

Having a number of NTP servers will help you detect false tickers which may be critical.

If you want something that is "cheap" as in you for your home, I can recommend this: ~$350 w/ antenna, etc..

http://www.netburnerstore.com/product_p/pk70ex-ntp.htm

You can get the whole thing going quickly.  Majdi has also had good luck with this unit (perhaps he wants to chime-in, heh pun unintended) regarding a few other devices.

If you ask politely off-list, I will point you at where one of these is that you can talk to (in Dallas at the Infomart for your low-latency config).

- Jared