SIP on FTTH systems

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 7 06:14:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> In my not-at-all humble opinion, in an eyeball network, you almost
> *never* want to make it easier for houses to talk to one another
> directly; there isn't any "real" traffic there.  Just attack traffic.

But creating a solution where you can talk to anyone else on the Internet
but not the ones in your own neighborhood is broken, so it needs to be
fixed. In IPv4 I've seen this solved with local-proxy-arp within the
subnet, and for IPv6 it's easily solvable by not announcing an on-link
network so they won't even try to communicate directly with each other but
instead everything is routed via the ISP upstream router and then down
again to the other customer CPE/computer.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se