Twinax trivia check (was Re: Is there such a thing as a 10GBase-T SFP+ transciever)

Murphy-Olson, Daniel E. dolson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 2 22:49:23 UTC 2014

Most of the switch vendors have an "official" compatibility list, but I've found that generally the most common compatibility issue is active vs passive twinax.

Brocade edge switches and nics are normally active only, which seems to come up a lot - because most short cables are passive unless they are brocade branded.  >5m is normally the cutoff for passive twinax.  Pretty much everything else I've encountered supports passive.

For a while, the intel x520 nics, which are very common, didn't support active connections - but they have since released firmware that fixes this problem.
Netapp's lower end gear doesn't support active twinax.