QOS improvement suggestion for NANOG list members

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Wed Aug 20 00:43:28 UTC 2014

On 8/19/2014 1:44 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> .... or, learn how to filter e-mail into folders like the big kids. :)

At first glance, that sounds wise... but there is a problem with that
strategy... doing that can EASILY cause a person to miss (or read too
late!) critical "zero hour" issues that come up on occasion...

btw - Even thought the following analogy is far from perfect, this sort
of reminds me of a poor quality spam filtering system where the end
users spend so much time looking for FPs in the "spam folder"...that the
spam might as well have been delivered to the inbox!

In the meantime, I'm very good at quickly ignoring the messages that
aren't relevant to my business nor time-sensitive... based on the
subject line... especially since it is easy to ignore entire threads
based on their subject line... and NANOG's volume isn't huge... but then
the word "URGENT" in all caps gets a little annoying.

--
Rob McEwen
+1 (478) 475-9032