Netflix To Cogent To World

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Aug 1 05:52:29 UTC 2014

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 07:10:49 PM Owen DeLong wrote:

> You are still misinterpreting my statement, or at least
> it appears that you are.

The pleasures of e-mail, and tones they do not convey :-)...

> I am not saying that Netflix is attempting to “grab”.

Yes, that's what I meant - by "grab them" I meant the
traditional ISP's who are also in the content game (U-Verse,
Xfinity, FiOS, e.t.c.) are making a deliberate or
unconscious play to "grab" Netflix (where grab means either
frustrate them or take them out of the equation).

So yes, we are on the same page, Owen; the lack of body in
e-mail is not either of us justice :-).

But, like I said, all this is conjecture on my part. Netflix
may not have the might or time to become an ISP, but other
networks that play in content (and are currently not known
for being ISP's, even though they may run very large global
IP networks) might.

> (Netflix is also a distributor, not owner).

I'm aware - it's easier for me to say "content owner" to
encompass that industry (given some content players own and
distribute content, while others simply distribute it), but
I know this list is well clued in on the nuances of the
terminology.

Mark.