AOL Mail updates DMARC policy to 'reject'

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Fri Apr 25 15:59:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Shrdlu <shrdlu at deaddrop.org> wrote:
> On 4/25/2014 8:00 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 23, 2014, at 12:45 AM, Grant Ridder<shortdudey123 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thought i would throw this out there.
>
>> Curious I unleashed grep on a couple of mailing lists I operate.
>
>> I turned up one AOL address.
>
>> I'm not saying my data is representative of the Internet, but I
>> remember a time when they were 50% of the addresses on my mailing
>> lists.
>
> I doubt the largest list I manage is representative of anything beyond
> an insane asylum, but out of 900-950, there are SIX of those laying
> around. Those are all addresses receiving email (I looked at the logs,
> just to verify). You just never know.

Keep in mind that mailing list membership is heavily dependent on
demographics of their common interest.  Many mailing lists that folks
on this list run themselves are likely to be technical in nature, and
therefore less likely to have @aol.com address.

On the other hand, I belong to a club for people who collect license
plates.  They tend to be older.  11% (320 of them) are active AOL
users.

Royce