Yahoo DMARC breakage

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Apr 10 11:45:41 UTC 2014

On 4/9/2014 11:54 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> Basic functionality is seriously and utterly broken ---  that DMARC
> doesn't have a good answer for such situations, is a major indicator
> of its immaturity,  in the sense that it is "Too specific" a solution
> and cannot apply to e-mail in general.
>
> If it were mature: a mechanism would be provided that would allow
> mailing lists to function  without breaking changes such as
> substituting From:.

On 4/9/2014 11:54 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:> Basic functionality is
seriously and utterly broken ---  that DMARC doesn't
> have a good answer for such situations, is a major indicator of its
> immaturity,  in the sense that it is "Too specific" a solution and
> cannot apply to e-mail in general.
>
> If it were mature: a mechanism would be provided that would allow
> mailing lists to function  without breaking changes such as
> substituting From:.

Every tool has limitations.

An 18-wheeler truck is not broken or immature because it fails to corner
like a Maserati.  A Maserati is not broken or immature because it does
not have the carrying capacity of an 18-wheeler.

DMARC was designed to handle a particular usage scenario and its
limitations have been carefully documented.

Or perhaps we need to declare email broken and immature because it does
not (yet) satisfy a long list of entirely reasonable functional
requirements, such as, ummm, author authentication?

Long deployment and use and deep knowledge don't matter; only satisfying
someone's list of requirements does?

d/
--
Dave Crocker