Filter-based routing table management (was: Re: minimum IPv6 announcement size)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Sep 30 23:41:07 UTC 2013

On Sep 29, 2013, at 12:49 AM, Blake Dunlap <ikiris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I was lazy in most of the adaptation, but I think it serves a
> good starting point for market based suggestions to the route slot
> problem.
>
> Your post advocates a
>
> (X) technical ( ) legislative (X) market-based ( ) vigilante
>
> approach to fighting spam^H^H^H^H route deaggregation. Your idea will
> not work. Here is why it won't work.

There's actually no new technology involved, and you're overlooking the fact
that there already _is_ market operating when it comes to routing table slots -
try asking your ISP if they'll accept and propagate more specifics and your
answer is going based on imputed worth to them as a customer...  you just
have no visibility into their assessment of your value, nor any way to make
the judgement yourself and pay accordingly.

FYI,
/John