iOS 7 update traffic

Geoffrey Keating geoffk at geoffk.org
Thu Sep 26 22:32:21 UTC 2013

Cutler James R <james.cutler at consultant.com> writes:

> On Sep 26, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Mark Lancaster <marklanc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have heard a lot of questions and debate about whether the iOS updates
> > download automatically:
> >
> > “Available updates download automatically if your device is connected to
> > Wi-Fi and a power source.”
> >
> > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623>
> >
> > /mark
> >

> The wording in step 2 is poorly done. The availability of updates is what is downloaded.
>
> Step 3 indicates an active user input to begin download is required.

The updates do download automatically, but only if the device is on
wifi and power at the same time.

For iOS 6, a check for available updates will be attempted at a
randomly chosen time on a randomly chosen day of the week.  If one is
found, an automatic download may follow if/when on power and wifi.

Opening the Software Update pane will cause an immediate check for
available updates.  If one is found it will be displayed to the user,
who may touch the button, which will complete the download (even if
not on power or not on wifi, although there are minimum battery charge
requirements and some updates can't be downloaded over cell) as
necessary, and then perform the install.

So, an ISP will see initial traffic when an update is released,
as people manually install it, and some continuing traffic spread over
at least the next week as the automatic downloads occur.

Then, of course, once people have updated their device, they'll want
to use it: update their apps, download a new Siri voice, buy music...