iOS 7 update traffic

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 19 23:13:39 UTC 2013

In message <64245AC1-BC00-4928-B2F7-F259E8632655 at puck.nether.net>, Jared Mauch
writes:

> On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:36 PM, "John Souvestre" <johns at sstar.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jared.
> >
> >> The attitude in this email I have encountered elsewhere.  Apple pays
> >> for bandwidth, customers pay for access. Not sure why their release
> >> strategy is so highly critiqued.
> >
> > Because it impacts other, non-Apple customers.  Or, it costs the ISP
> more
> > (passed through to all customers) to add capacity to handle an
> infrequent peak
> > load.
> >
> > Question/suggestion:  Could Apple perhaps shift their release to a
> Saturday
> > morning?  I would think that this would go a long way to diluting the
> peak.
> >
> > John
> >
> >     John Souvestre - New Orleans LA - (504) 454-0899
>

> I think there's a lot that could be done when looking at how to shift
> this.
>
> I've seen one other carrier privately talk to me about the impact and
> possible impacts to their network.  Most of these are folks (along with
> warren) who are worried about their RF budgets and these event traffic,
> or even just the nightly traffic peaks.
>
> I have advised some in the past to put up caches, but the content owners
> also make it difficult to do this.  Apple sets very short expire values,
> and you end up with lots of "bad" settings.  Apple devices don't honor
> DHCP option 252 either.

Oh you mean that option that never made it past a internet-draft
that expired 13 years ago[1] and is in the private range[2] to boot.

If you want proxy discovery to work on all devices complete the
process of getting a code point allocated then get the OS vendors
to query for it.  252 is fine for experimenting / proof of concept
but it really is the wrong value for long term use.

Mark

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xhtml

--