common method to count traffic volume on IX

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Wed Sep 18 23:03:17 UTC 2013

* randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) [Wed 18 Sep 2013, 04:39 CEST]:
>somehow, a serious case of testosterone poisoning combined with insane
>goal drift has hit a number of the large european exchanges.  instead of
>the goal being how well they serve their local communities, they have
>gone wild with sleazy means of having traffic contests, doing really
>sick attempts at techno-colonial expansion into foreign countries and
>continents, ...  instead of running a public service, they think they
>are running competitive commercial enterprises.  imiho, the members
>should be up in arms.
>
>if you are jealous of commercial expansion, then send your resume to
>equinix.  sheesh!

Wow Randy, you really misunderstand the situation in Europe and the
reasons behind the horizon expansions, and I'm surprised by your
advocacy of American hegemony in a market where that really doesn't
exist (those of independent not-for-profit internet exchanges).

If only you worked for a company that allowed you input into the
decision processes of all these member-driven associations!

	-- Niels.