DNS Reliability

Phil Fagan philfagan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 18:14:55 UTC 2013

Tolerance for failure; I like it.

Eric - I'm interested in an accepted norm of loss of queries made to the
cache tier. Yes, when I provide a 'service' to a client (don't really care
about SLA) i'm interested in what the accepted norm or guidance is on %
loss on queries -- because this drives my architecture, right?

Marco - I think 'lost queries' in this instance is simply, wait for
it.....the full UDP session. Yes yes, session is bad to say, but service
request completed through middle-boxes are tracked as sessions.

So thats what I'm looking for; what is the general consesus for reliability
all other things equal. Sure, you have the factor of UDP, retry, path, etc.
etc. etc.....but I think Larry hit the nail on the head - whats my
clients[aggregate of] tolerance before Evil ensues.

--
Phil Fagan
Denver, CO