DNS Reliability

Glen Wiley glen.wiley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 20:40:05 UTC 2013

Remember though that anycast only solves for availability in one layer of
the system and it is not difficult to create a less available anycast
presence if you do silly things with the way you manage your routes. A
system is only as available as the least available layer in that system

For example, if you use an automated system that changes your route
advertisements and that system encounters a defect that breaks your
announcements then although a well built anycast footprint might acheive
99.999, a poorly implemented management system that is less available and
creates an outage would reduce the number.

--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de
Saint-Exupery