Internet Surveillance and Boomerang Routing: A Call for Canadian Network Sovereignty

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Sat Sep 7 21:08:31 UTC 2013

A Canadian ISP colleague of mine suggested that the NANOG constituency
might be interested in this, given some recent 'revelations', so I
forward it here for you perusal.

"Preliminary analysis of more than 25,000 traceroutes reveals a
phenomenon we call ‘boomerang routing’ whereby Canadian-to-Canadian
internet transmissions are routinely routed through the United States.
Canadian originated transmissions that travel to a Canadian destination
via a U.S. switching centre or carrier are subject to U.S. law -
including the USA Patriot Act and FISAA. As a result, these
transmissions expose Canadians to potential U.S. surveillance activities
– a violation of Canadian network sovereignty."

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/media_law_prof_blog/2013/09/routing-internet-transmission-across-the-canada-us-border-and-us-surveillance-activities.html

Cheers,

- ferg

--