The US government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Sep 6 14:23:02 UTC 2013

> I don't suggest a riot. I do believe in the rule of law, as a member of
> a democracy
> I need to accept that I will not always agree with the laws that are
> enacted.

Well that's all nice and all, but what you're missing here is that this
has very little to do with "laws that are enacted".  When an author of
the PATRIOT Act is filing amicus briefs indicating that the collection
of data being done is not what Congress intended, and when the
intelligence community is busy subverting the common definitions of words
so that they can bend a law that says one thing when read in plain
language but something very different when they use their own private
definitions, then we're pretty far outside the scope of "law."

We've been hearing for some years now that the way in which the PATRIOT
Act has been interpreted was alarmingly expansive.  If you choose to
start redefining words, you can probably find a way to make the
Constitution say "every child has a right to a puppy."  Doesn't actually
mean that it actually says that though.

Feingold must be having such an "I told you so" moment.

... JG