Pad 1310nm cross-connects?

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Sun Oct 20 19:59:04 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: Pad 1310nm cross-connects? Date: Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 07:21:42AM +0200 Quoting Måns Nilsson (mansaxel at besserwisser.org):
> Subject: Pad 1310nm cross-connects? Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 07:33:19PM -0700 Quoting Chris Costa (ccosta92630 at gmail.com):
> > What are the opinions/views on attenuating short, 1310nm LR cross-connects.
> >  Assume < 20m cable length and utilizing the same vendor optics on each
> > side of the link.  Considering the LR transmit spec doesn't exceed the
> > receiver's high threshold value do you pad the receiver closer to the
> > median RX range to avoid potential receiver burnout over time, or just
> > leave it un-padded?
>
> 	LR usually needs padding in that scenario, IMHO. This also

My apologies. I was thinking not of 10km / 20km class optics but the
80-100km stuff. There, padding is quite necessary in short-range setups.
For 10/20km stuff, I, too, have run lots of 2m patch cords directly
between linecards without harm.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668

Courtesy conversions: (km->miles, km-> miles, metres/100 -> feet)

10/1.6
6.25000000000000000000
80/1.6
50.00000000000000000000