Reverse DNS RFCs and Recommendations

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Wed Nov 6 14:34:56 UTC 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

> Reverse DNS for (typical) residential customer IPv6 addresses is dead,
> people just haven¹t come to grips with it just yetŠ ;-)
>

> When publicly-reachable services in home networks are created that may be
> a different matter of course. But it is hard to imagine an ISP
> automatically or dynamically generating reverse records for all the IPv6
> addresses handed out to your average residential users.
>
> Jason
>

> On 11/5/13, 12:31 AM, "Lee Howard" <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:
>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andrews-dnsop-pd-reverse-00
>>

>> It would be great to have this conversation in the IETF Homenet WG, as
>> well as DNSops.
>> This would solve the gaps I identified.  Not sure why I, as an ISP, would
>> spend money on this.
>>
>> Lee

Dynamic DNS providers will undoubtably endeavor to make money from AAAA and SRV entries for publicly-reachable services in SOHO and home networks. Dynamic DNS providers are normally not delegated authority to provide PTR records for ISP managed addresses, making provision of complementary AAAA and PTR records highly unlikely.

Because of the cost of scaling and delegation issues I agree with Jason and see no compelling business case for rDNS services for SOHO or residential users.

It’s dead,
	Jim

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com