Why are there no GeoDNS solutions anywhere in sight?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Mar 21 08:41:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:23:02AM -0700, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> On 20 March 2013 21:29, Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
> > Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> >
> >> Why even stop there:  all modern browsers usually know the exact
> >> location of the user, often with street-level accuracy.
> >
> > If you think mobile, they don't, especially because "often" is
> > not at all "enough times".
>
> Are you suggesting that geolocation is inaccurate enough to misplace
> Europe with Asia?

last month, while in western australia, geoloc pegged me in utah.
this morning, geoloc pegged me in Kansas, while resident in Maryland.

> >> Why is there no way to do any of this?
> >
> > Because it is impractical to assume an IP address can be mapped
> > uniquely to a geolocation.
>
> Why is it impractical?  If I have a server in Germany and in Quebec,
> why would it be impractical to have the logic in place such that
> European visitors would be contacting the server in Germany, and
> visitors from US/Canada -- the one in Quebec?
>
> C.

secure dynamic update works.  waht is TWC's incentive to allow clients to update
tjheir reverse DNS delegations, esp when clients are leaving them for T-Mobile?

your sugesting the cretion and deployment of something that already exists
in the LOC RR.  Your rational is that LOC isn't used.  If thats the case,
why would your proposal be any more successful?

/bill