Time Warner Cable YouTube throttling

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Wed Mar 6 20:11:50 UTC 2013

We have recently been having some serious speed issues with YouTube on our home connections, which are all Time Warner Cable.
Some searching on forums and such revealed a work around:

Block 206.111.0.0/16 at the router.

This makes speeds go from ~1 Mb/s to the full connection speed (30 Mb/s in my case). It appears that TWC is forcing traffic to this netblock over a congested link, or otherwise throttling it.

Trying to communicate this to tech support results in the typical "Derrr, what?"

Does anyone at Time Warner care to comment on WTF?

thanks,
-Randy