What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 5 19:55:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:55:14 +0400, "Mukom Akong T." said:

> I've found myself thinking about what ground an engineer needs to cover in
> order to convince the executives to approve and commit to an IPv6
> Deployment project.

You forgot step 0 - figuring out why in 2013, you're talking to an executive
about this in the first place.  You're going to have to deal with the root
cause reasons why the discussion was delayed before you have a snowball's
chance of succeeding.  The presentation you need to give if the execs don't
understand what IPv4 exhaustion is will be different from the one they need
if they understand that issue full well but don't see an ROI win from doing
it this year and they want to push it off.

> a) To all you engineers out there who have convinced managers - what else
> did you have to address?

Finding working code in 1998 was... interesting.