Service provider T1/PPP question

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Sat Jun 29 01:21:09 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike [mailto:mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:26 PM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Service provider T1/PPP question

On 06/28/2013 12:56 PM, Naslund, Steve wrote:

> I think this post seems like a flashback.  I would not consider a T-1 to really be broadband anymore and it is pretty much limited to a business environment the way tariffs work.  As far as MLPPP, it seems to be pretty stable now where you need multiple bonded T-1s.  We have a few sites running MLPPP with Sprint on Juniper and Cisco gear and have not had an issue with it.  It is definitely not my preference for business connectivity anymore.  We tend to look for Ethernet service which is way cheaper per mb than T-1 and requires less expensive terminal equipment in most cases.  T-1s are the business solution where you need dedicated MPLS connectivity and fiber transport is not available.  DSL or Internet VPN are OK but somewhat less stable for business class private network solutions.  If it is internet connectivity they want you will get beaten up by the cable companies that can outrun and outprice you across the board.  You will also have a heck of a time competing with incumbent and competitive telecoms in T-1s that have central offices or collocations in central offices.  The economics just don't work if you don't have direct access to the cable plant.  Maybe up until the telecom act but not now.  How do you intend to get those T-1s back to you or are you a CLEC?

I am a clec with colocated facilities, and my targets are rural unserved areas where none of the factors above are considerations. I just want to connect with anyone who's done this and has a qualified technical opinion on optimal deployment strategies; the business considerations are already done.

Most "T-1" service these days seems to be delivered over HDSL.   You may also want to consider EoC.     XO uses Adtran CPEs for their EoC service, anything from 1.5Mbps to 20Mbps service over 1 or more copper pairs with good distances between repeaters.