Google's QUIC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Jun 28 21:40:30 UTC 2013

On 06/28/2013 02:28 PM, joel jaeggli wrote:
> On 6/28/13 2:15 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> On 06/28/2013 02:07 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

Well, I'm pretty sure that Randy Stewart has a more expansive take on SCTP
than SS7oIP, but I get the impression that there just weren't enough other things
that cared  about head of line blocking. But now, 15 years later, it seems like maybe
there is.

In any case, if what you're worried about is head of line blocking, SCTP definitely
does that, and there are kernel implementations so for an *experiment* it seems
like you could get a long way by ignoring its warts.

But I think the most provocative thing is the idea of sending data payloads prior
to handshake. That sort of scares me because of the potential for an amplification
attack. But I haven't actually read the protocol paper itself.

Mike