Paetec PI space?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 26 21:23:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>> It's got to be PA space.  Paetec isn't in a position to assign PI space.
>
> No distinction is drawn between PA and PI for ARIN-region address
> space assigned prior to ARIN's inception in 1997. That's "legacy"
> address space.
>
> Since the end of filtering on prefixes shorter than /24, PA and PI
> have lost most of ther distinction anyway. There's RIR-assigned and

The distinction to me is that PA space is provider owned space assigned to
a customer.

PI space is "your space", whether assigned by ARIN or "legacy" space
handed out by Internic or whoever was handing out space at the given
pre-RIR time.  It's yours to use with whatever provider you want.

PA space generally can't be taken with you if you leave the
provider...though it's not unusual to be given some amount of time to
renumber.

IME, it would be unusual, even for pre-RIR space, for a provider to assign
space to a customer and not expect to reclaim that space when the customer
terminates service.  At the same time, it wouldn't be unusual,
particularly for very large or very people/clue deficient providers to
just never bother reclaiming space.  In such a case, I'd say it still is
their space...they just haven't done the housekeeping to realize that the
space should be back in their pool of assignable blocks.