Paetec PI space?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 26 19:17:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

>> We have a customer who was assigned some PI IPv4 space by Paetec back in
>> mid-90's and who has continued to announce the blocks, even though their
>> relationship with Paetec ended a long time ago.
>>
>> Is this a common situation? Does the customer risk having that space
>> reclaimed by Paetec at some point, or is it safe to assume they will
>> continue to be able to route trouble-free for years to come?
>
> They should plan to renumber out of that space in the very near future.
>
> Even with some sort of formally documented agreement between Paetec and the
> customer that explicitly allows the customer to continue using the space
> after the end of their business relationship, I would guess that ARIN's
> policies take a rather dim view of 'off the books' transfers of address
> space.

It's got to be PA space.  Paetec isn't in a position to assign PI space.

I used to think similarly, that ARIN members could only assign PA space to
connectivity customers, but last time I consulted with ARIN about it, I
was informed this is not the case.  AFAIK, there is nothing stopping any
provider from acting like an LIR and "renting" IP space to customers
whether the customers get connectivity from the provider or not.

Maybe they have Paetec's permission to use the space indefinitely.  Maybe
it's an oversight in Paetec's turn-down process that the space was never
reclaimed.