[Filtering of NTP-access to swisstime.ethz.ch as of July 1st, 2013]

Mike Hughes mike at smashing.net
Wed Jun 26 11:25:29 UTC 2013

On 26 June 2013 04:10, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2013, at 12:37 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> <
> Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how long it will take before anybody actually updates their
> config.  I once pulled a stratum-2 out of the clocks.txt file - and was
> still seeing
> > several hundred unique hosts per hour poking the IP address for time -
> like over a decade later.
>
> <http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/>

Would actually be interesting to get a brief update on how many of these
SNTP requests the Madison NTP server still gets.

At the time, Dave hypothesized that the affected devices would have a
half-life of about 5 years - so 10 years on, you would expect this to have
subsided to around 25% of the initially report rate. I wonder if that held
true?

Mike