Assistance for Eavesdropping Legally on Avian Carriers (AELAC)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Jun 26 02:58:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Nick Khamis wrote:
> We are however trying to conform to RFC standards as pointed out by
> Jev. You guys really need to look at this. It's easily implementable:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

That remind me I need to finish my April 1 submission to the RFC editor
for next year..... This has been sitting in my todo pile for several
years.

RFCxxxx for publication on April 1, xxxx

Assistance for Eavesdropping Legally on Avian Carriers (AELAC)

Abstract

The memo provides an overview and principles regarding Lawful
Intercept(LI) of networks using RFC 1149, "A Standard for the Transmission
of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers."  National requirements are not
addressed.

Overview and Rational

Avian Carriers have not provided law enforcement with advanced
capabilities to conduct covert surveillance of a subject's communications.
When approached by law enforcement, Avian Carriers take flight leaving
behind difficult to decode droppings of their activities. Identifying a
specific packet stream within a large flock of carriers is difficult. Due
to the 3D ether space available to carriers and their intrinsic collision
avoidance systems, although sometimes poorly implemented with windows,
performing full content communications interceptions can be hit or miss.

This memo does not address specific national requirements for
eavesdropping. Nevertheless, it may be important to public safety that
carriers never use any communication technology which could hinder law
enforcement.s access to the communications of a subject of a lawful order
authorizing surveillance.

Avian Carriers have a long and distinguished history in communications.
For thousands of years they have been used to carry important messages to
military and business leaders.  However, they have also been used for
nefarious purposes ranging from possible financial market manipulation
after Napoleo's defeat at Waterloo to reports of enemy pigeons operating
in England during World War II.