net neutrality and peering wars continue

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jun 22 17:36:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Robert M. Enger <NANOG at enger.us> wrote:
> Perhaps last-mile operators should
> A) advertise each of their metropolitan regional systems as a separate AS
> B) establish an interconnection point in each region where they will accept
> traffic destined for their in-region customers without charging any fee

What would be the point of (A)? They can just set a BGP community
based on where a route originates and then match by BGP community for
the sufficiently-local routes when they peer.

They don't do B because the complaint about "you're abusing my long
haul bandwidth" is basically a lie. They want to get paid twice for
each byte and if they think they can then they won't do settlement
free peering with you. Period.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Aaron C. de Bruyn <aaron at heyaaron.com> wrote:
> Maybe someone could enlighten my ignorance on this issue.
> Why is there a variable charge for bandwidth anyways?

Some equipment is used to connect to you. A cable. A port on a card in
a router. Whatever. Also, that router can only have so many ports, so
when you connect to it a fraction of that router's equipment,
maintenance and management cost is attributable to your specific
connection.

That's the monthly port charge.

Your packets are then multiplex with lots of other folks' packets an a
variety of cables and through a variety of routers as they travel
between you and the machines you're talking to. That infrastructure
has a cost $X. It's used by all of their customers (packets cross it)
at a total of Y gbps.

Your consumption divided by Y is your fraction of that usage. That
fraction times $X is the service provider's variable cost of moving
your packets. Variable cost, variable charge.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> At this rate, if they do produce a PFC that takes the 6500 to several
> million routes, it's probably going to be too late for those to be available
> in any real quantity on the secondary market.  Maybe that's the plan.

"Maybe"?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004