net neutrality and peering wars continue

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jun 21 03:42:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013, Jeff Kell wrote:

> On 6/20/2013 10:26 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> Many things aren't as obvious as you state above.  Take for example routing table growth.  There's going to be a big boom in selling routers (or turning off full routes) when folks devices melt at 512k routes in the coming years.
>
> Indeed.  We're running PFC3CXL's and had already reallocated FIB TCAM to
> 768K IPv4s in anticipation.  We also had maximum-prefix 500000 with a
> warning at 90%, and today it triggered (or at least first time I noticed
> it)...  we ran > 450K prefixes from 3 providers about 1:30 EDT today and
> got the warnings.
>
> The end is near :)  If you haven't made provisions, please do so now :)

It's like 2008 all over again, but worse.  In 2008, the Sup2 was nearing
the end of its ability to hold full v4 routes.  The "good news" back then
was that you could upgrade to Sup720-3bxls for a little more than (IIRC)
about $10k per unit.  This time, at least as of today, Cisco hasn't
provided an upgrade path that'll keep the 6500 family usable for a
full-table router when the "1 Million" route slots aren't enough to hold
your 768k v4 routes and 128k v6 routes.

At this rate, if they do produce a PFC that takes the 6500 to several
million routes, it's probably going to be too late for those to be
available in any real quantity on the secondary market.  Maybe that's the
plan.