gTLDs opened up

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 12:34:06 UTC 2013

On 6/19/13, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I agree that these TLD sellers are rather silly, but the organizers of the
> conference chose to allow free speech.

I'm not sure it matters.  Besides, you can always ignore their
presentation, abstain from the meeting, go home,   or bitch on NANOG;
 I'll agree TLD seller speeches are a waste of your time  -  well,
unless the folks are from ICANN,  who probably will be selling gTLDs
en mass before too long,  as they undergo technical feasability
studies ----   and of course
"the answer to a feasibility study is almost always “yes”".   (see
Robert Glass, Facts and Fallacies)

Although, the bitching on NANOG bit  only really serves to draw more
attention to their existence, which is what the unauthorized 3rd party
TLD selllers want anyways.

> You are, of course, free to criticize as you wish, but ideally, you should
> at least direct your criticism at those responsible.

AfriNic kind of choses to associate themselves,  by allowing their
meeting to be at a venue, and proximal in time to the TLD sellers'
speech.

--
-JH