10gig coast to coast

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 18 17:18:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:53:48 -0000, James Braunegg said:
> We Deal with TCP window size all day every day across the southern cross from
> LA to Australia which adds around 160ms...  I've given up looking for a
> solution to get around physical physics of sending TCP traffic a long distance
> at a high speed....

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/141651-caltech-and-uvic-set-339gbps-internet-speed-record

It's apparently doable. ;)

A quick cheat sheet for the low-hanging fruit:

http://www.psc.edu/index.php/networking/641-tcp-tune

Though to get to *really* high througput, you may have to play some games
with TCP slow-start so it's not quite as slow (otherwise for long hauls it
can take literally hours to open the window after a packet burp at 10G or higher)

Also, you may want to look at CODEL or related queueing disciplines to
minimize the amount of trouble that bufferbloat can cause you at high
speeds.